During the Folklore Festival, the town’s streets are filled with dancers from countries the world over , in their national costumes, dancing and singing around the main square, waving flags and banners. In fact, the entire island is infused with the enthusiasm created by colourful national costumes, the variety of the music and the cheerfulness of dance groups from near or far.
Lefkada‘s town plan is distinctive. After the devastating 1825 earthquake, the town was rebuilt according to British anti-seismic specifications. The ground floor of the houses is stone masonry and the upper storey or storeys have a light wooden construction, with supports called pondella transferring the load directly to the foundations of the building and not to the ground-floors walls.
Long, golden sandy beaches stretch along the West Coast with cobalt, crystal clear waters lapping the edges gently or crash angrily the tall white cliffs of Cape Lefkata on the southern tip. Powerfull scented Pines and columns of Cypresses commandreer the slopes that loom adove#AgiosNikitas village #MyrtoHomes
General Info about Lefkada
Lefkada,or Leucas or Leucadia or Lefkas ,Greek: Λευκάδα is a Greek island in the Ionian Sea on the west coast of Greece, connected to the mainland by a long causeway and floating bridge. The principal town of the island and seat of the municipality is Lefkada. It is situated on the northern part of the island, approximately 20 minutes by automobile away from Aktion National Airport (PVK).Lefkada measures 35 kilometers (22 miles) from north to south, and 15 kilometers (9 miles) from east to west .Its highest point is the mountain Stavrota, 1,158 meters (3,799 feet) above sea level, situated in the middle of the island.The island has a typical Mediterranean climate: hot summers and cool winters, especially in the mountains
The myth about Sappho‘s suicide at Cape Lefkada is related to other myths linking the island to the ancient Greek goddess of love, Aphrodite, and to Odysseus, the hero of Homer‘s Odyssey. The German archaeologist Wilhelm Dörpfeld, having performed excavations at various locations of Lefkada, was able to obtain funding to do work on the island by suggesting that Lefkada was Homer’s Ithaca, and the palace of Odysseus was located west of Nydri on the south coast of Lefkada. There have been suggestions by local tourism officials that several passages in the Odyssey point to Lefkada as a possible model for Homeric Ithaca. The most notable of these passages pushed by the local tourism board describes Ithaca as an island reachable on foot, which was the case for Lefkada since it is not really an island, that it was connected to the mainland by a narrow causeway. According to Strabo, the coast of Acarnania was called Leucas in earlier times. The ancient sources call Leucas a Corinthian colony, perhaps with a Corcyraen participation. During the Peloponnesian War Leucas had joined the Spartan Confederation.
Lefkada was part of the Despotate of Epirus until 1295 when it passed from Despot Nikephoros I to his son-in-law John Orsini. The Castle of Santa Maura, as the island became known as, was first built in the beginning of the 14th century; the possession of the castle was key to holding the island. The Orsini family lost Lefkada in 1331, to the Angevins. In 1343, Walter of Brienne granted Lefkada and the Santa Maura castle to Venetian Graziano Giorgio.Between 1343 and 1348, Serbian ruler Stefan Dušan invaded Albania, Epirus and Thessaly, conquering all except for Vonitsa and Santa Maura. In 1362, Leonardo I Tocco seized Lefkada and Vonitsa. In 1479, the Ottomans conquered Lefkada, and rebuilt the castle on a large scale (the core of the castle being Ottoman).
Early modern period
The Venetians briefly held Lefkada between 1500 and 1503, during the Ottoman-Venetian War, after which it was returned to Ottoman rule by peace treaty. Ottoman rule was interrupted by Venice in 1684,with the Ottomans surrendering it after a 16-day siege, and was thus again part of the Ionian Islands under Venetian rule. The Ottomans called it Ayamavra, from Greek Agia Maura (Αγία Μαύρα, itself derived from «Santa Maura»), and ruled it between 1479–1502, 1504–1684 and 1715-1716. The Venetians extensively modified the castle in the early 18th century, and the British also made some modification in the 19th century. In 1800, the Septinsular Republic was established, a Russian protectorate under de jure Ottoman suzerainty. The Russian Empire employed troops recruited from fugitive klephts and armatoloi in the Ioanian Islands, particularly of Lefkada. Among these were captains Anastasios Tselios and Apostolos Levendakis, the latter who already in 1802 offered to raise a company of 60 fighters on Lefkada to support the Russians.